Friday, February 19, 2010

Safe!

TODAY’S SPECIAL: Psalm 91:1-16


TO CHEW ON: “Because you have made the Lord who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling.” Psalm 91:9-10

This is one of my favorite chapters in the whole Bible. I don’t know how often I have sought it out when I have felt fearful, anxious about safety, or concerned about my health or the health of my family.

I love the images of God as protector and safe place.
  • We can live under His wings as baby birds find warmth, comfort, and safety from the elements under the wings of mother bird.
  • He is a fortress. Picture one of those castles in Europe, built on inaccessible mountainsides.
  • He is a refuge. In Israel, there were designated cities of refuge where a person could run to when accused of killing someone. Inside a city of refuge, the accused was guaranteed safety from revenge killing.
  • He is a deliverer. The picture is of someone springing the trap to loose a bird.
  • His truth is protection – both as a shield and a small shield (buckler).
  • His presence defends from personal attack, sickness and war.
  • He assigns our care to angels.
  • He transcends the natural order of nature to keep us safe.
  • He gives us a place of honor.
  • He answers our prayers.
  • He rewards us with long life.

Why all this special attention? “Because you have made the Lord who is my refuge, even the most High, your dwelling place.” (91:9)

A sidebar article in my Bible sheds light on "refuge" and "dwelling place":

“The word makhseh translated “refuge” means “a shelter,” “a place of trust,” and derives from the root khawsaw meaning “to flee for protection,” “to confide in.”

Maween translated “dwelling place” indicates “a retreat.” It derives from the root 'onah which describes the security of “intimately dwelling together in marriage.”

When we make the Lord our refuge and habitation by trusting Him – taking our cares, fears and needs to Him; by seeking His counsel, spending times of refreshing with Him, and by loving Him and walking closely with him through every day, we enter into a sheltered place of promise….” New Spirit Filled Life Bible p. 758 – Nathaniel M. Van Cleave.)

Do any of the images God as protector resonate with you? Take the picture of that with you today. Revel in His care today.

PRAYER: Dear God, thank You for Your intimate knowledge of and care for me. Help me to confide in You and make You my retreat. I make You my safe place today. Amen.

MORE:

Psalm 91 by Lincoln Brewster


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...