Monday, April 05, 2010

Blind to the obvious

TODAY’S SPECIAL: Luke 24:13-35

TO CHEW ON: “But their eyes were restrained, so that they did not know Him….then their eyes were opened and they knew Him…” Luke 24:16, 31

My nine-year-old daughter’s thick brown hair was combed into silky pig tails that Sunday morning. She’d finally recovered from chicken pox and I’d given her hair a good scrub before church, hoping that that would take away the extreme itchiness she’d had for the last few weeks. As she sat beside me in the pew, I gave her a motherly once-over and noticed flecks of dandruff in her bangs. I tried to brush one away but it was stuck tight to a shaft of hair. I worked at removing another, with the same result. As I glanced over the rest of her hair, I saw more and more dandruff. What on earth?!

In that instant my eyes were opened. This was no flaky scalp condition. The chicken pox I’d blamed for her itchy head was only a partial culprit. I was looking at a case of full-blown head lice. Somehow, preoccupied with the concerns of everyday living and getting her through a bout of illness, I’d never noticed as the hungry critters took up residence.

I spent the rest of that day shampooing heads, scrubbing furniture, washing clothes and bedding, and vacuuming everything in sight. All the while I berated myself for not seeing. How could I have missed something so obvious?

I wonder if that isn’t how the disciples on the road to Emmaus felt after they realized it had been Jesus who had joined them on their walk.. Focused on their circumstances, wearing the dark glasses of human explanation and expectation, they’d spent hours walking and talking with the risen Christ but never realized who He was.

The disciples and the risen Jesus on the road to Emmaus - artist unknown

Like them, we too are often blind to spiritual reality. We listen to local, national and international news with a sense of panic, and miss seeing how world events are fulfilling Bible predictions. We get trapped under clouds of discouragement, distraction and defeat, and only after they’ve lifted do we see the fingerprints of Satan all over our situations. We talk to unsaved friends, family members or neighbors but it isn’t till hours later that we realize we didn’t take all kinds of opportunities to talk about Jesus. There is a realm of reality that we can see only through eyes opened by God.

PRAYER: Dear God, please open my eyes to the awareness of Your presence in every part of my life.

MORE:

Open My Eyes” by Hillsong






Do your 8-12-year-olds have daily devotions? Point them to Bible Drive-Thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...