Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Love the cat

TODAY’S SPECIAL: Psalm 67:1-7

TO CHEW ON: “God be merciful to use and bless us
And cause His face to shine upon us. Selah.” Psalm 67:1

When I was a little girl I worked for nothing more than to get my mom’s approval. When I was a teen, not so much. But one thing was sure: I knew when she was happy with me and when she wasn’t. I read her face and could tell when she was annoyed, sad, grieved, or pleased because when she was pleased her face “shone upon” me. That’s what I think of when I read “God…cause His face to shine upon us.”

The beginning of this psalm comes from the priestly blessing God gave Moses. It was the blessing with which Aaron and his sons were to bless the children of Israel (Numbers 6:24-26). Here this blessing is imparted not only so that the blessee will be enriched, but so that those around will also get blessed: “…let the nations be glad and sing for joy!” As a footnote in my Bible says:

“It is evident here that God’s intent never was just for one race but for all peoples and nations to know and enjoy Him.” (New Spirit Filled Life Bible p. 735.)

Even the earth, the plants, crops, precipitation flourish under God’s smile of approval: “…then the earth shall yield her increase.”

You know the saying, “kick the cat” – a reference to how we take it out on others when we’re treated badly ourselves? Well, today you can love the cat – and everyone else who comes across your path because of God’s smile and general loving on you:

“The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you:
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you
and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26

PRAYER: Dear God, thank You for Your face that shines with delight at the sight of me. Help me to take this grace into my day and to spread it to others. Amen.

MORE: One of the ways I experience God’s shining face most powerfully is through music. One of my favorite musicians is Steve Bell. He has posted a player with his music and the music of other Signpost recording artists. Give it a listen! May God’s smile, through music, fill your day.



Do your 8-12-year-olds have daily devotions? Point them to Bible Drive-Thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...