Monday, February 13, 2012

Take comfort

TODAY'S SPECIAL: 2 Corinthians 1:1-14

TO CHEW ON: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." 1 Corinthians 1:13-14

Who do we choose as a comforter in times of crisis, disaster or bereavement? Chances are we will pick a person who has been through similar things. For example, I would probably not be your first choice as a comforter when you get a diagnosis of cancer or experience the death of your spouse. However, dealing with miscarriage would be another thing. I've been there. Experience has been my teacher. My ability to comfort you would come from my firsthand knowledge of what that experience was like and what I needed at the time.

Paul, in our reading today, draws attention to the comfort that's available to us when we're dealing with the hard stuff in our lives.

["Comfort: paraklesis. A calling alongside to help, to comfort, to give consolation or encouragement. The paraklete is a strengthening presence, one who upholds those appealing for assistance. Paraklesis (comfort) can come to us both by the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:31) and by the Scriptures (Romans 15:4)" - "Word Wealth," New Spirit-Filled Life Bible, p. 1508.

I remember when I first became aware of these verses. Having lost my first pregnancy to miscarriage a few months earlier, I was pregnant again but again threatening to abort. "Why is this happening?" I asked God. These verses from 2 Corinthians 1 helped to answer my question:

1. To draw me closer to God as I looked to Him for comfort and answers ("...God... the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in our tribulation..."). I don't remember the exact scriptures I turned to at that time but they probably included the usual:
  • Romans 8:28-29 which assures us God is in everything and has a purpose for it all.
  • Philippians 4:6-7 which invites us to pray about everything and let our confidence that God hears and acts in our best interest relax our hearts to peacefulness.

2. To someday be a comfort to others who go through similar things ("...that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.")

Whatever we're going through today, from irritation to trauma, let's keep in mind these comfort-ministering purposes for our "tribulation." Let's look to God and Scripture for comfort, and then be willing to share our experience with those who are going through something similar.

PRAYER: Dear God, thank You for the Bible and the Holy Spirit who comforts me. Help me to be sensitive to the hurts of others and to share Your comfort when such sharing is timely. Amen.

MORE: "Nothing is Wasted" - Jason Gray

"From the ruins
From the ashes
Beauty will rise
From the wreckage
From the darkness
Glory will shine..."  All lyrics


Bible Drive-Thru


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...