Thursday, October 17, 2013

Soul food

TODAY'S SPECIAL: Jeremiah 31:23-40

Autumn fruits & vegetables
TO CHEW ON: "'For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.'" Jeremiah 31:25

Jeremiah hears the voice of God declaring, '"For I have satiated the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.'"

The guarantee of that sweet satisfaction runs through the Bible.
  • The psalmist  promises it to those who fear God (Psalm 145:19) and who enjoy being in His house (Psalm 36:8).
  • Isaiah promises it to those who are spiritually thirsty (Isaiah 44:3; 55:1) and go to God as their Saviour (Isaiah 12:3).
  • Jesus promises filling to those who hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6).
  • He proclaims that He is the source of living water (John 4:14; 7:37) and the bread of life (John 6:35).
  • We are invited to His feast at the culmination of all things (Revelation 7:16; 21:6; 22:17).

Then, in the next verse, Jeremiah wakes from his vision: "After this I awoke, and looked around..." But the beautiful atmosphere of blessing lingers on "…and my sleep was sweet to me" - Jeremiah 31:26.

May we too live today in the atmosphere of these promises, bringing our wearinesses and sorrows to Him now for temporary relief, knowing that a day is coming when God will forever satiate all our lacks with His plenty!

PRAYER: Dear God, help me to look to You to satisfy my deepest thirsts and hungers—even as I anticipate the time when this will happen perfectly. Amen. 


***********

New King James Version (NKJV) Used with permission. The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

Bible Drive-Thru



Bookmark and Share



1 comment:

  1. Psalm 145:16 is another lovely confirmation of this. David states that Father God opens His hand and satisfies the desire of every living thing. We are blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...