Sunday, August 10, 2014

Adventurous discipleship

Walking on water - Artist unknown
Walking on water - Artist unknown
TODAY'S SPECIAL: Matthew 14:22-36

TO CHEW ON: "And Peter answered Him and said, 'Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.' So He said, 'Come.' And when Peter had come out of the boat, he walked on the water to Jesus." Matthew 14:28-29


Jesus' invitation to "Come" answered a seemingly frivolous request from Peter—a sort of Gideon fleece: "Lord if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."

What was the point? It wouldn't surprise me if, at the time, even Peter couldn't have told us. But his impetuous request and what happened next probably stayed with him for life. For on Jesus' "Come" Peter, with his eyes on the Lord, stepped out of the boat and walked on water, just like his Master was doing.

And then he looked around. The wind was high. The waves were boisterous. What am I doing here? This shouldn't be happening.  This can't be happening! I'm scared! And he began to sink. Just in time Jesus rescued him.

I wonder if he thought of this incident later in life when he found himself in impossible situations. I wonder if he made the connection between looking to Jesus in faith and walking on the water versus looking at what was all around him and beginning to sink?

I believe Jesus still challenges us to adventurous discipleship. When we ask for wisdom about a particular project or thing we're facing (James 1:5) and hear His "Come," do we get out of the boat and, keeping our eyes on Him, move forward in faith and obedience even though everything around us says that what we're attempting is impossible?

Or do we get distracted by what we see around us, the winds and rough seas of common sense that say, "it can't be done!" and lose faith?

PRAYER: Dear Jesus, please teach me how to consistently keep my eyes on You. Help me to be an adventurous disciple. Amen.

 *********
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

**********
Don't miss out! Get book tips, info on the newest in Bibles and Bible study resources, and my author news...




Bookmark and Share



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...