Saturday, March 18, 2017

What feeds you?

TODAY'S SPECIAL: John 4:21-42

TO CHEW ON: "Jesus said to them, 'My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.'" John 4:34

Here, using the metaphor of food, Jesus states His life purpose.

Much in life is simplified if we know our life's purpose. Here are some worthwhile ones from the Bible for us to consider:

  • Serving the right master: "But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve.... as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord" - Joshua in Joshua 24:15 (NLT).
  • Seeking the right kingdom: "But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides" - Jesus in Matthew 6:33 (Amp).
  • Finishing the job: "I glorified you on earth by completing down to the last detail what you assigned me to do" - Jesus in John 17:4 (Msg).
  • Finishing joyfully: "But none of these things move me; neither do I esteem my life dear to myself, if only I may finish my course with joy and the ministry which I have obtained from [which was entrusted to me by] the Lord Jesus, faithfully to attest to the good news (Gospel) of God's grace (His unmerited favor, spiritual blessing, and mercy)" - Paul in Acts 20:24 (Amp).
  • Winning the "heavenly prize": "I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
 I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward"- Paul in Philippians 3:13-14 (Amp).

It is one thing to say we have a certain purpose, quite another to live it. To discover our actual purpose, we can ask ourselves, what captures our attention? What do we find ourselves daydreaming about? What absorbs our interest? What feeds us? May it be something that, in the end, lasts into eternity.


PRAYER: Dear God, please help me to God-centered and single-purposed, like Jesus was. Amen.

*************
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Scripture quotations marked AMP are taken from the Amplified® Bible,
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Scripture quotations marked NLT are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Scripture quotations marked MSG are taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.


2 comments:

  1. Dawn Sperling7:12 AM

    I have been very encouraged since reading your
    daily devotionals, Violet. Thanks for all your hard work
    and also I appreciate all the pictures and other posts,
    yesterdays song by Matt Redman on the "Heart of Worship" really lifted me up with all the beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dawn! Your appreciation made my day :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...