Friday, March 19, 2010

Father's business

TODAY’S SPECIAL: Luke 2:41-52

TO CHEW ON: “And He said to them, ‘Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?’” Luke 2:49

I wonder if these words of Jesus, “Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?’ sent a pang through His earthly father Joseph’s heart. Did they drive home again the fact that, even at this early age, Jesus was not truly ‘his’ – even as our kids aren’t ‘ours’?

"St. Joseph the Carpenter" by Georges de la Tour, 1645

The reaction of Jesus to His parents reminds me of something Oswald Chambers says, and I paraphrase: When God tells you to do something, don’t hesitate to obey because of the impact your obedience will have on others. Don’t take their reaction as your responsibility. Let God deal with them.

So much for others’ obedience resulting in our inconvenience. What about the personal cost of being about the Father’s business? It is wide-ranging. Jesus’ words, “I do not seek my own will but the will of the Father Who sent me” (John 5:30), reverberate all the way down to us: “As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” John 20:21

A sidebar article in my Bible says:

"Yielding to His call in the pragmatics of daily living means that we recognize His purpose for us during times we would otherwise seek indulgence for our self-interests or run from the demanding implications of His leading at a given moment (ouch!)… it is not ours to excuse ourselves from our places of service but to choose His choice, that is to say, His choice is my choice, my consecration to Him.”
- Fuchsia Pickett, New Spirit Filled Life Bible page 1390.

PRAYER: Dear God, help me understand what a privilege it is to be busy doing Father-God business. I pray with the psalm-writer, “Take my eyes away from looking at worthless things and revive me in Your way” today. Amen.

MORE: Today is the Feast of St. Joseph – a church commemoration of the godly man who married Mary despite the scandal surrounding her pregnancy, and was an earthly father to Jesus.

The Collect for today:
“O God, who from the family of your servant David raised up Joseph to be the guardian of your incarnate Son and the spouse of his virgin mother: Give us grace to imitate his uprightness of life and his obedience to your commands; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that paraphrased Chambers comment... it's a good perspective.
    You have a lot of good thoughts here. thanks for writing these devotionals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, PeaceLady, for coming by, reading and leaving a comment! That paraphrased OC... I looked for a long time to get it in his words, but couldn't put my hands on it. (It's somewhere hidden amongst all the highlighted lines of 'My Utmost For His Highest!')

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...