Monday, March 22, 2010

Great leaders use the servant entrance

TODAY’S SPECIAL: John 12:12-26

TO CHEW ON: “If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me, and where I am, there my servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him will My Father honor.” John 12:26

“Servanthood is the time-tested entrance prerequisite for trustworthy ministry,” begins a sidebar article in my Bible. “Since God’s Word seems to reveal such service as the basis for any advancement in leadership, we are wise to be cautious if such credentials are not found in a rising leader today.” – Joseph Garlington Sr. New Spirit Filled Life Bible, p. 1466

Have you noticed how many Bible leaders first served?
- Moses served Jethro.
- Joshua served Moses.
- Elisha served Elijah.
- David served Saul.

If we dream of having ministries and being leaders, we’d better get used to the idea of being servants.


How comfortable are you with serving? I often watch the Customer Service clerks at our local Superstore with admiration. The best ones handle grouchy, complaining customers with  a humility, grace and willingness to help that puts me to shame. Personally, volunteering in our church’s Alpha program has made me even more aware of some of the hang-ups about serving that I have. It has shown me I have a lot to learn about this unlikely, Kingdom of God route to greatness.

PRAYER: Dear God, help me to have a servant’s heart in everything I do – not to prove my greatness, but because You were a servant, and I follow You. Amen.

MORE: Want to learn more about serving? This comprehensive article by John MacArthur is a mini-seminar: "Spiritual Gifts – the Permanent Edifying Gifts – The Serving Gifts: Leadership, Serving and Giving."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...