Saturday, June 05, 2010

Template for trouble

TODAY'S SPECIAL: Psalm 30:1-12

TO CHEW ON: "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness." Psalm 30:11

Last week my daughter's little family was sick -- again! It seems all it takes this year is one little exposure to the church nursery or a friend's visit for one of her little ones to come down with the virus du jour. That means a week to ten days of sitting at home nursing cranky babies -- and sometimes hubby or herself -- while the bug makes its rounds. The ceiling can seem pretty low, the days stretch ahead long and uninviting, during such a bout.

It seems that David may have written Psalm 30 under such a cloud, only worse. Several times he even recalls being at death's door. What does he do in the middle of his dark time?

He doesn't pretend it isn't happening or that it isn't hard. He cries to God for healing (vs. 3), weeps (vs. 5), is troubled (vs. 7). But in each instance he also reminds himself of Who he trusts above all. And he recalls how God helped him in the past: "You healed me…" (vs. 2); "…joy comes in the morning" (vs. 5); "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing" (vs. 11).

Whatever circumstance is causing the pall you are under today, let this psalm be a template for how to react. Give vent to your emotions, yes, but don't stay in despair. Remember God's help to you in the past and let those memories boost your faith. Trust in God's goodness and love toward you for the future. And express thanks for the outcome you hope for in a prayer of faith.

PRAYER: Thank You, God, that You will turn my mourning into dancing; You will put off my sackcloth (for us moderns, black clothes signifying grief) and clothe me with gladness. I will praise and give thanks to You forever. Amen.

MORE: "His Eye is on the Sparrow" by Lauryn Hill and Tanya Blount (from the movie "Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit"




Do your 8-12-year-olds have daily devotions? Point them to Bible Drive-Thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...