Saturday, September 11, 2010

Who put you here?

TODAY'S SPECIAL: 1 Timothy 1:1-20

TO CHEW ON: "And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry." 1 Timothy 1:12

It is a good thing, from time to time, to review where you are and why you are here — to think back over your history and thus regain the sense of God's hand guiding you into the job and ministry you find yourself in.

Paul had a strong sense of divine appointment. It comes out in the way he opens his letters. The first verse of our reading today is an example: "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the commandment of God our Savior and the Lord Jesus Christ, our hope."

One way Paul retains such conviction is by reviewing how he came to God in the first place. He alludes to that time when he talks about his life before Christ: "I was a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man, but I obtained mercy..."vs. 13.

Paul encourages Timothy, further, to recall prophetic words others have spoken over him: "I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you that by them you may wage the good warfare" vs. 18.

One more thing I have found helpful is reviewing Bible passages that have spoken powerfully to me, rereading the verses and stories that have set me on the path I have taken.

It is easy, in our time of many options and choices, to get distracted from core life and ministry purposes and goals. Reviewing our history with God, recalling the prophetic words of others, and rereading the Scriptures that have shaped our lives can be a good way to again get focused on where we are and why.

PRAYER: Dear God, please help me to have the conviction of being where I am by Your hand. Thank You for putting me in the this ministry. Amen.

MORE: Burning words

I love the way the disciples described the effect of Jesus' spoken words on them as they walked together to Emmaus: "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?” (Luke 24:32)

What Bible words or stories have burned within you, helping establish you in the direction your life and ministry have taken?

Some such for me would be Luke 19:11-27.

Do your 8-12-year-olds have daily devotions? Point them to Bible Drive-Thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...