Thursday, April 30, 2015

Intimate Holy Spirit

teacher guiding the hand of a student
TODAY'S SPECIAL: John 14:1-21

TO CHEW ON: "I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

One of the saddest things in the world is kids who don't belong to anyone—orphans. It's hard for me to even imagine being in such a place because my parents have been so foundational to the person I have become.

Here Jesus taps into the language of family and other relationships to describe what the Holy Spirit, who will soon come, will be to His disciples. Let's look at the roles Jesus says the Holy Spirit will play in a disciple's life. He will be a:

1. Helper: "I will pray to the Father and He will give you another Helper…"- John 14:16.  [Helper  is parakletos and means 'beside' and 'to call' = called to one's side. The word signifies an intercessor, comforter, helper, advocate counselor. … In non-biblical literature parakletos had the technical meaning of an attorney who appears in court in another's behalf. The Holy Spirit … gives the strength to endure the hostility of the world system" - Dick Mills, Word Wealth, New Spirit-Filled Life Bible, p. 1472.]
2. Roommate / Housemate: "He dwells with you..."
3. Tenant of the spirit: "…and will be in you" - John 14:17; 23
4. Parent: "I will not leave you orphans" - John 14:18.
5. Lover who shows His love: "And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father and I will love him and manifest Myself to him" - John 14:21. [Manifest - emphanidzo 1718 - to cause to shine… to appear to come to view, reveal, exhibit, make visible, present oneself to the sight of another" - Op. Cit, p. 1470.]
6. Teacher: "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit … will teach you all things…"
7. Prompter: "… and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you" - John 14:26.

Of course the Holy Spirit doesn't barge into our lives but moves in on our invitation, increasingly taking over our life's house and our very personality and character only with our cooperation—that is, our obedience - John 14:15, 21, 23-24.

I challenge myself, and you, to be on the lookout today for instances where the Holy Spirit is these things to us. Perhaps a good project would be to make note of what we discover in a journal.


PRAYER: Dear Holy Spirit, thank You for coming to me in these various ways. Please open my eyes to clearly recognize what You do and who You are in my life.  Amen

***********

The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. - Used with permission.

Bible Drive-Thru






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...