Sunday, November 13, 2016

A Divine Lawyer

TODAY’S SPECIAL: Luke 21:1-19

TO CHEW ON: “‘Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer; for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist.’” Luke 21:14,15

Here Jesus gives advice to the disciples on how to prepare themselves for being arrested and interrogated for their faith in Him. This bit snags my attention: '… settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer.’

Jesus’ advice goes against every instinct I have. If I was arrested and anticipating being questioned about my faith, my tendency would be to review my doctrine and apologetics textbooks, have my Romans Road scriptures at my fingertips, refresh my mind on how to make a logical and convincing argument, etc.

But the compelling defence Jesus describes (‘… all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist…’) comes a different way than through memory, intellect, or reasoning power. Our reading in Luke doesn’t name the source of this wisdom but in another place Jesus refers to it (Him) specifically.

‘Now when they bring you to the synagogue and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what to say.’” Luke 12:11,12.

Jesus speaks more about this divine ‘Lawyer’ in John 14-16.

‘But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to remembrance all things that I said to you’” - John 14:26.

‘If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire and it shall be done for you’” - John 15:7.

‘… And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness and of judgment’” - John 16:8.

Two further thoughts:

1. Maybe a greater dependence on the Holy Spirit is also a wiser, more effective way of sharing the gospel with friends and family than some of the rote methods we’ve been taught.

2. Waiting for the Holy Spirit to supply our words, takes work too—the work of refusing to worry and substituting worry with dependence on and obedience to the Holy Spirit at all times and in all situations.

PRAYER: Dear Jesus, thank You for Holy Spirit, Your wisdom and words, that are appropriate and come with convicting power, available to me. Amen.

 *********
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...