Saturday, December 10, 2016

Some things life has taught me

TODAY'S SPECIAL: Philippians 4:10-23

TO CHEW ON: "I know how to be abased and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." Philippians 4:12 (emphasis added)

As an elderly, life-worn man, Paul was schooled by a variety of experiences and states. So are you. So am I. Here are some of the things life has taught me:

1. What you fill your mind with is important.
This principle is always important and is underlined for me each time I am bedridden by illness or sidelined with an injury. Years ago during a difficult pregnancy, I spent many hours on the living room couch and found myself immersed in a Christian book about dealing with the occult. A pastor who came to pray for me saw the book and gently admonished, "That might not be the best reading material for you right now."

A few months later, when I was again out of commission, I determined to read something more uplifting. J. I. Packer's Knowing God proved to be the perfect mind food for someone longing to understand God during a difficult event. I still recall that time as one of intimacy with God and spiritual growth. Philippians 4:8 contains a list of wholesome mind-fillers.

2. Do things now, not later.
If you're prompted to work ahead on assignments with a distant deadline, don't put it off with "There's still lots of time." You have no idea how much time you really have.

What happened in the spring of 2014 before I went to visit family members in northern B.C. reinforced that for me. Before I left home, I worked ahead on all the deadlines I knew about. Then halfway through my time away I broke my hip. Was I ever glad I had obeyed those promptings to work ahead! "… these things do, and the God of peace will be with you" - Philippians 4:9.

3. Remember, "No condition is permanent."
I mull over these words of a former pastor whenever I am in a stressful, uncomfortable, wish-this-were-over place. In the meantime, I try to practice contentment - Philippians 4:11.


4. It is important to finish jobs.
I've learned this from quitting difficult things a few times. The instant gratification of quitting is never worth the long-term erosion in self-esteem and self-confidence. Rather, I need to continue to take Philippians 4:13 as my motto: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

What has life taught you?

PRAYER: Dear God, please help me to live by the principles of Your word and to recognize Your grace for me in each circumstance. Amen.

 *********
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...