Sunday, January 08, 2017

Is this Servant your Master?

Illustration of Jesus and the children - Artist unknown
Jesus and the Children - Artist unknown
TODAY'S SPECIAL: Isaiah 42:1-13

TO CHEW ON: "'Behold! My Servant whom I uphold,
My Elect One in whom my soul delights!
I have put My Spirit upon Him;
He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.'" Isaiah 42:1


Usually when the prophets referred to "servant" they meant Israel. However, "The Servant here appears to be someone different," writes Nathaniel M. Van Cleave in my Bible's commentary on Isaiah (New Spirit-Filled Life Bible, p. 922.

When we read the New Testament with the words of Isaiah 42 in our ears, it doesn't take long for us to discover who this Servant is.

In Matthew 3:17 and 17:5 a voice from heaven at Jesus' baptism and when He is on the mountain calls out: "'This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased," reminding us of "My Elect One in whom My Soul delights" - Isaiah 42:1.

Then the gospel writer Matthew clearly links Isaiah's Servant here with Jesus: "Yet He (Jesus) warned them not to make Him known, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet saying, 'Behold My Servant whom I have chosen…'" and goes on to quote at length from Isaiah 42.

What will this Servant be like? According to Isaiah, He:
  • Is God's delight (Isaiah 42:1).
  • Is full of the Holy Spirit - Isaiah 42:1.
  • Is for the Gentiles - Isaiah 42:1,6.
  • Is soft-spoken, not loud and bombastic - Isaiah 42:2.
  • Is gentle and understanding of the hurt and broken - Isaiah 42:3.
  • Stands for justice and truth - Isaiah 42:3,4.
  • Works in the light as a bringer of sight and insight - Isaiah 42:6,7.
  • Stands for freedom - Isaiah 42:7.
  • Deserves the glory and all our worship - Isaiah 42:8, 10-13.
  • Is able to do away with the old and bring about this new state of affairs - Isaiah 42:9.

How thrilling to see these things predicted hundreds of years (about 700) before Jesus came to earth as a flesh-and-blood baby that matured to become this God-man. And the beautiful thing is that each one of us can have a personal relationship with this Servant. For Jesus says:

"Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with me" - Revelation 3:20.
and
"Jesus answered, If a person really loves Me, he will keep My word—obey my teaching: and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home (abode, special dwelling place) with him" - John 14:23 AMP.

Have you made the acquaintance of this Servant? Has he become the One whose word you "keep," in other words, your Master?

PRAYER:
Dear Jesus thank You for the clear testimony of the prophets concerning Your identity, character and destiny. I have chosen, and continue to choose You as my Lord. Amen.

***********

 Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Scripture quotations labelled AMP are taken from the Amplified® Bible, Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
Used by permission. (www.Lockman.org)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...