Monday, April 02, 2018

Staying green

TODAY’S SPECIAL: 2 Samuel 19-21; Psalm 92

TO CHEW ON: "Those who are planted in the house of the Lord
Shall flourish in the courts of our God.
They shall still bear fruit in old age;
They shall be fresh and flourishing (green)." Psalm 92:13-14.


As I was cleaning tables after the last Alpha session of the season, one of the leaders came up to me and began talking about the testimonies of the people who had attended. “Even women your age were telling how they came to the Lord,” he said. My thought was: I wonder how old he thinks I am!

In our culture which so values youth, beauty and vitality, aging is not something we eagerly await. Retirement – maybe, if we are weary of work. More free time, a slower pace, the excuse to migrate south, and the seniors’ discounts may awaken some sense of anticipation. But generally we dread growing old.

It’s hard to avoid the physical realities – graying hair, lines and wrinkles, aches and pains. The social facts are even more sobering. We’re shunted off to a siding at work. More and more of our friends die. We realize we’re no longer the generation that’s pushing society’s limits but rather the one that longs to hold onto tradition. How did that happen?!

The comforting thing is that God still values us in old age. Here are some things the Bible says about aging:
  • Gray hair is a crown of glory (Proverbs 16:31; 20:29)
  • God promises to carry us, bear us, and deliver us “even to your old age.” (Isaiah 46:4)
  • The way we act and conduct ourselves can give our lives dignity and impact. (Titus 2:2-3).

I find this comforting – exciting even. I’m not about to be put in the compost bin. I can still look forward to useful, productive years. May it be so!

PRAYER: Lord, I claim Your promise of greenness and fruitfulness for all my days. Amen.

PSALM TO PRAY: Psalm 92

MORE: Chris Tomlin sings “All the Way My Savior Leads Me




************

Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...