Sunday, August 12, 2012

Communion

TODAY'S SPECIAL: John 6:41-59

TO CHEW ON: "Then Jesus said to them, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed.'" John 6:53-55


Communion

"Communion Service,
next Sunday morning at 10:00,"
church bulletin said.

I imagined sitting there, wafer in hand,
tiny goblet of juice in the holder,
trying hard not to think of what I'll make for lunch.
It wasn't even a prayer, just a thought,
I wish it had more meaning for me again.

Early that Communion Sunday morning
the book opened to the spot
kept by the gold crocheted cross:
"The Bread that I present to the world
so that it can eat and live
is myself,
this flesh-and-blood self."

(Ew gross!
It offended the Jews then,
'How can this man
serve up his flesh for a meal?'
People still say,'Your religion
is too bloody.')


"But Jesus didn't give an inch.
'Only insofar as you eat and drink
the flesh and blood of the Son of Man
do you have life within you.
By eating my flesh
and drinking my blood,
you enter into me
and I into you.
... bring a hearty appetite.
... make a meal of me."*

Oh God of heaven, Jesus, Lord
On your frank invitation
I'll chew the bread, imbibe the wine
Your presence my distraction.

I cannot with my literal mind
Pretend to understand
What happens when I eat and drink,
Inscrutable, heavenly plan,
It’s mystery
And intimacy,
Communion God with man.


© 2004 by Violet Nesdoly

*Quoted passages from John 6 in The Message.

PRAYER: Dear Jesus, the poem above is still my prayer. Help me to come to You and to communion with an attitude of reverence, a keen spiritual receptivity, and a "hearty appetite." Then help me to live life, nourished by You. Amen. 

MORE: "...feed us Lord"

Steve Bell & Fresh I.E. in "Everything We Need"



Bible Drive-Thru


Bookmark and Share



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...