Saturday, January 02, 2016

A template for the new year's goals and dreams

Blank note pad
TODAY'S SPECIAL: Ephesians 1:1-14

TO CHEW ON: "that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory." Ephesians 1:12

Here is a grand passage on which to feed as we enter the new year! It could even become the template or mold into which we pour or resolutions, plans, goals and dreams. Let me explain.

Within the passage, our focus verse (Ephesians 1:12) is a consequence of the blessings Paul has just listed. He reminds Christians in Ephesus and us, we have been (Ephesians 1:4-11):
  • Chosen.
  • Predestined.
  • Accepted.
  • Redeemed.
  • Forgiven.
  • Extended grace.
  • Made privy to mysteries.
  • Made heirs.

All this works toward the grand climax and consequence: "that we… should be to the praise of His glory" - Ephesians 1:12.

As we sit down to dream about and plan for 2016, I submit that we could use this consequence (to "be to the praise of His glory"), as a test for the items on our list. We might ask ourselves questions like:

1. If I achieve this goal or realize this dream, who gets the glory?

2. Am I open to God moving me from these plans to other things that serve His glory more?


3. How can I glorify God in the humdrum of everyday living? (
A possible answer to that last question might be that we live aware of and thankful for the blessings Paul has listed.)

PRAYER:  Dear Jesus, thank You for choosing me, adopting me, redeeming and forgiving me so I have a future with You in heaven. Help me to remember to test my activities, projects, and goals with the question, "Who gets the glory here?" Amen.

 *********
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...