Monday, August 01, 2016

How's my living?

TODAY'S SPECIAL: Colossians 3:12-4:1

TO CHEW ON:
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."  Colossians 3:17

Perhaps at some time you've driven behind a commercial vehicle on which was posted the decal "How's my driving?" Under the question was a phone number or website—the number or site you, as an observer, could contact if you saw the person driving badly.

Why would someone have such a message on their vehicle? I'm sure it's not the idea of the driver, but of the company that he and his vehicle represent.* That employee represents his company in the way he drives, loads and unloads his truck, even behaves at truck stops. On the job, he lives in the name of the company that employs him.

That, says Paul, is what's involved in being a disciple of Jesus. We "...do all in the name of the Lord Jesus..." We realize that everything we say and do represents Him. In this, though, we are never off the job, never out of uniform.

The way we handle good times or stressful situations, whether we act with kindness or rudeness,  how we behave in exaltation or tragedy—all are done as representatives of Jesus. We act in His name while in traffic, in line at the bank, when we see someone in trouble, and when we're left with a sinkful of dishes… I wonder what would happen if somewhere on us was posted "How's my living?" with a heavenly number to call with complaints. Would heaven be flooded with calls?

This outlook reminds me of another verse that such a life implies:
"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me" - Galatians 2:20.


PRAYER:  Dear Jesus, help me to internalize the fact that everything I do reflects on You. Help me to make choices in my talk and actions that will bring honor to Your name. Amen.


*The Wikipedia article on "How's my driving?" cites that vehicles displaying the decal are involved in 22% fewer accidents and a 52% reduction in accident-related costs.

 *********
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...