Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Fulfill YOUR ministry

Image: Pixabay
TODAY’S SPECIAL: 2 Timothy 4:1-8

TO CHEW ON:
“But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.” 2 Timothy 4:5

On a writer blog to which I contribute, a recent topic was “Shining light on important issues.” Thinking about that topic helped me to clarify for myself what my “ministry” is in the area of issues-related writing. I concluded it’s not my main ministry.

At other times when writer friends talk about projects they’re involved in and the thought arises in me: “Why didn’t I know about that; I could have done that!” I hear the Lord whisper: “Did I ask you to do that?”

A friend who is gifted at teaching recently talked about how, early in her Christian life, church friends suggested she was cut out for full-time ministry. However, as a mom of four young boys, that was unrealistic. She reports now, many years later, “… that was not for me. My ministry, where I feel most alive, is as an occasional Bible study teacher.”

Here Paul added to other advice he gave Timothy to “fulfill your ministry.” I think each one of us can take that as a personal challenge. In a Truth-In-Action article at the end of 2 Timothy, Leslyn Musch paraphrases “fulfill your ministry”: “Be tirelessly faithful in those things God has commissioned you to do” (New Spirit-Filled Life Bible, p. 1717).

When faced with a bundle of needs and ministry opportunities, we do well to ask ourselves, “What is my assignment, my ministry,  what are the things God has commissioned me to do in relation to this?” And, “Will my taking on something new, something more, enhance or distract from that?”

PRAYER:
Dear Father, in today’s noisy world, it’s easy for me to lose my focus and get caught up and distracted by personal, career, political, societal, even church needs and causes. Help me to hear Your voice and be faithful to do the things You have called me to do. Amen.

 *********
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...